Friday night we had it at a dear friends' house (where it usually is). Her hubby works offshore, so she usually has an empty house - where most other ladies still have kids at home, or a hubby we would have to kick out or lock in a bedroom.
We all bring a dish, and the one who's house it's at makes the main course. Then comes the fun part - the eating and talking and getting to know one another! After everyone has had their food, their dessert, and coffee - we move everyone into the living room and this is when one person gives a devotional, or whatever it is they want to share. I don't know what came over me, but I offered to do the "speaking" Friday night.
Now, though I am on the quiet side, I am definitely "chatty". But not in front of a group of people. Nope, do not like it.
However, it must have been a God thing - from me volunteering, to being able to actually speak in a room when all eyes were on me.
I spoke about different ways we have our quiet time with God. I brought a bag of "props". Exhibits. (lol) I brought a little bible I carry in my purse (never know when we will have time waiting on one kid or another, or traffic or long lines - when we can pull it out and get some reading in). I brought my journal and we discussed different ways of journaling while reading our bibles and in prayer time. I had my little leather bound copy of Oswald Chambers - My Utmost for His Highest - and discussed how we could read through a day at a time and journal or pray about that. I brought my new One Year Bible (that I got at the Goodwill about 2 weeks ago for like 75 cents!) and discussed how to incorporate that into our quiet time.
We talked about how there is no one way that works for everyone, that seasons change in our lives and so our "methods" will also change. But to be creative in finding ways to let God speak to you, and for you to spend time with Him.
And though I was a bit nervous - I was relatively calm and at peace (again, only God). I can get so hung up on being intimidated, or thinking "of course people already know these things, right?" or thinking that I may somehow misquote God Himself. I get frightful when I focus on myself, how I will look, how I will stumble, how everyone is looking at me. The key to peace is to focus on God, and remember it's NOT about me. Not at all. And it helps me to think back to myself as a new Christian, and remember the things I did not know and how it seemed everyone else did (like how to have a quiet time). It also helps to remember that all of these women are my sisters in Christ. That we all learn from each other.
Anyway, praise God, I made it through - without any blunders or blushing (not too much anyway). I did what He wanted me to do - and pray that next time He asks - I will obey.
Because really - it's all about Him.



