Thursday, December 17, 2009

CHRISTmas Time




As it does every year,
We look forward to this time.
And every year the same thing happens.
It goes by so fast.

We long to stretch these days,
make them last.
Listen to the Christmas songs longer,
See poinsettia's all around - longer,
See the houses decorated in lights,
Feel the holiday cheer,
Even the mall all decorated,
Watch more Christmas movies,
Open more Christmas cards,
The excitement in the air,
Linger more over the true meaning of Christmas.

Christmas time is like something you want so badly,
and just as finally grab it,
It slips right through your fingers.

Of course the kids can't wait -
just as I couldn't when I was a child.
Back when days and weeks stretched out before me,
long and lazy.

This morning is another cold and rainy day.
How I love the cold, but long for sunshine.
Coffee is brewing,
dog curled up sleeping,
clock ticking.
Kids are at school -
One with exams today,
And two with Christmas parties.
I have a little shopping to do before they are all back home again.

As I sit here in the quiet, I think of how I treasure this time,
here and now.
This season to celebrate.
The coming and birth of Christ.
Who came to earth, took on His robe of flesh,
To bring us the greatest gift of all.
To lift us from darkness,
Into His light.
To break the chains that bind us.
To forgive us.
To make us right with God.
To be the perfect, spotless lamb
Who takes away the sins of the world.



I just want to bask in His light.
Longer.