Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Pulling hair MAD

When I was a little girl, or even sometimes when I was a teenager, and I couldn't get my hair just right, I would begin to get very upset. I would stand in front of the mirror and over and over try, whether a section of hair was sticking up and wouldn't lay flat, or I couldn't get my barrettes even, or if I thought I just looked stupid - I would eventually have a melt down. It looked like this: I would put my hands on my hair and mess it up like a maniac, while nearly screaming (as quiet as I could) in frustration.

Then I would inevitably ask my Mom to fix my hair. (Because even though she would always hurt my head, she always fixed it perfect). She wasn't the most gentle hair-brusher!

Well, I had one of those moments last night. I could have. I had every inclination to scream, pull - (except it wasn't a hair problem), or throw all my papers on the floor.

Last night I had my second Algebra class. It went well. I even left there feeling happy - like perhaps one day, I could even like Algebra. Imagine that.

That is until I begin to do the tests/homework he has us do. Remember, it's all on a disk - you do the 20 problems each (for 3 sections) then print them up.

Last weeks work - I did them from the laptop here in the kitchen, then emailed them to the main computer in the den (where the printer is) then printed them up. (It's a long story, but I can't get the program to work on the main computer)

So.... Last night I took the first test. Got an 85% on it. 3 wrong. Remember, you have to keep taking it until you get a 100% (different tests each time). I take it again, ANOTHER 85%. FINALLY on the 3rd try, I get a 100%!!!!! There is an option to email the results (which is what I did for the last 3 tests I took this past week).

I click it. It says, "Sending email. Please wait...."

Then a box comes up: "Program not responding. Must shut down program."

I almost cried. Almost.

So.... I log in to MathCue again. Take 20 more ALGEBRA problems - get a 95%. I didn't care if it wasn't a 100% at that point, that was going to be IT! I go to send it....

The same thing happened.

At that point, I really could have lost my mind. 80 Algebra problems and nothing to show for it - except for pages of work scribbled on my scrap paper. It was 12:30 am. I had worked for hours - for nothing.

I didn't pull my hair or scream - though at a younger age, I would have.

I did put my head down near the laptop and thought of having a bawling fit. But instead, I just went to bed.

This morning, I have decided I am going to take all my scrap pages and write down 20 of them on a neat sheet of paper, and explain to him what happened, and turn that in.

NOW, I still have 2 other sections to take. That was just the first. This time, I will carry my laptop into the den, and hook it up to the printer (watch that not work) and press PRINT.

I'll let ya'll know if it worked, or if I finally went mad.