(******addition to earlier post******)
I have to add that learning is so much easier when you are not concerned about boys, what you are wearing, how your hair looks, whether the teacher may embarrass you by calling on you or how many pimples you have!!!
English 101 - first thing yesterday morning, trying to log into "Blackboard" - didn't know how, didn't know my username, or password. Took nearly an hour to figure out just how to get ON the site the teacher uses to post our syllabus, assignments, discussion board, etc. In her syllabus, she mentioned a little something that scared me: "During the summer semester, we will be working at double the rate of a normal semester...." That's just great. Then the fall should be like a breeze to me I guess (I hope). Anyway, we had an article to read, then we had to go on a discussion board and discuss our opinion on the article. We also had to introduce ourselves to the class - it seems this discussion board thing plays into our grades alot more than I thought. She stated in her syllabus, that if we do not post on there 2-3 times per week, we will be dropped from the class. We have our first essay due in one week - on something I know all too well: the thesis is something like "A catastrophe like Hurricane Katrina brings out the best and worst in people". I think I can do that!
Math - 3 LONG hours of math. It was okay. The professor was nice. He went over and over things so that we would KNOW it. The biggest surprise to me came from the students around me (one in particular). We had 14 people in the class last night - all women except for one teenage boy. The women constantly got up to go to the restroom, or talking on their phone, I don't know. We have a break time, you would think some of them could wait. A couple were texting during class. During the break, one woman actually called someone and carried on this loud conversation from her desk. I would have thought she would have at least walked out in the hallway.
At the end of class, the professor was going over and over and over the same thing, to make sure we knew it - and I'm positive we all knew it after the 3rd example, but he went on and on. A woman actually said to him out loud, "You know, this could have gone a lot faster. Are you going to go this slow the whole time?" I cringed with embarrassment for this poor man. He said he was not going to leave anyone behind. She replied, "At this rate, trust me, you are not going to leave anyone behind." That was horrible!
Work wise, it seems very doable. I have to get my book as soon as I can - which costs over $100. I pray someone has a used one at the bookstore at school Monday. We have about 120 homework problems I have to do by next Thurs - and need the book to do them. Yay.
Oh, one funny thing - to me. In the beginning of class, he started to call role. I don't know why, but I started to laugh. I had to control myself not to laugh out loud. I just thought it was the funniest thing to be 37 years old, sitting in a desk, saying - "Here" after I hear "Kristy" being called.
Over all, it was a good first day. Now, I need to get on that paper.....



