Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A few changes

Well, summer is officially here. That means: heat (though it is not here nearly as much as it will be soon enough), mosquitoes (again - not as bad as they will be), and the kids are out of school.

We have been very busy over the last week - so I haven't been on the computer much - also due to the kids being home. But today things have settled down - to the point I was asking myself, "What am I going to do with these kids ALL summer?"

Having kids so spread out has saved my sanity, but is hard to find things we all want to do together. Yesterday we all went to the movies - $40 for 5 tickets - won't be doing that again too soon. Oh, and that was with no popcorn or drinks. I took Jalyn and Joshua to see "Monsters vs Aliens" and Clay and Jake went to see "Star Trek". I would have rather seen Star Trek, but... oh well. I think that was the second movie Joshua has seen. He did really great - and even kept the way over sized (on him) 3D glasses on the whole time.

Well, our big project for the past week was our very own "Trading Spaces". No, it wasn't on TV, and we didn't have designers or help.

It all started with Jacob wanting to trade rooms with his sister. Jacob has the bigger bedroom, and the one with the biggest window. It is always very bright and sunny. Jalyn had the smaller room, in the corner of the hallway, with one average sized window. When we rebuilt the house after Hurricane Katrina, I tried to convince her to take the bigger bedroom, but for sentimental reasons, she wanted to be back in her old room. Now that Jacob is out of the toy era, he doesn't have many things in his room, other than his furniture. Jalyn, also fazing out of toys, has more books, earrings, and well, girly stuff. She needs more room than he does.

The biggest challenge was the painting. Jacob had sky blue walls, and Jalyn had one purple wall, and 3 pinkish/beige walls.

First we did Jalyn's room. I mean Jacob's old room. (I still haven't gotten used to the switch)

We talked her into keeping two of the walls blue - so we would have less to paint. I know, we are horrible, but it really worked and looks so cute. We painted two opposite walls a really pretty deep purple. So, she's got the whole purple and blue thing going on - her two favorite colors. We put curtain rods (which Jacob didn't have), and cute white curtains with colorful polka dots on them. I think it came out adorable.








Jacob wanted deep red walls. I can't tell you how hard it was to paint that room - unless any of you have ever tried to paint a red room before - then you know. It was hard! It took 3 coats, and many touch ups to the ceiling. Thankfully Clay painted around the ceiling. It makes me too nervous to even try.

I have always wanted a red room - though I envisioned it to be a study or office (neither of which we have an extra room just lying around for) - so I liked the idea of red. It must be a teenage thing - because now he's got the perfect hangout. Dark red walls and black curtains. It's small and cozy - and he can close the curtains and sleep half the day away - which is exactly what he tried to do today.

Here are some pics of his new room (Jalyn's old room). There's no cutesy pictures to show - just the things he likes the most - it is red, it is dark, and it is tucked away from the rest of the action of the house. (Privacy)







It was soooo much work - the painting, taking apart beds, moving dressers, desks, ALL of their clothes in the closets, and all the little things that collect under one's bed and on the bottom of closets.

Now, all the work is done, and everyone is thrilled with the results - so it was well worth it!