I don't know if there is something that causes the high levels of calcium - like a defect somewhere, or if it is just a "condition" without a cause. Or is there such a thing as something without a cause?
From what the doctor told me, and what I read in the link above, is that it is mainly treated by diet. He has to be on a very low salt diet. In a grown up, this is easily doable. Even in an older child, I could explain this. But I must admit, his favorite foods are pizza, chicken and french fries. Oh, and we have a Wendy's and "WayDonalds" near our neighborhood.
I must also admit this morning that I am getting overwhelmed by this. He loves popcorn and cashews. Cheese puffs and almost any other chip. (As I have said before, he is the worst eater I have ever known - the pickiest) If this changes for him, this changes for us all. Which, yes, sounds good for us all, right?
Well, thinking of grocery shopping for all low salt or no salt options overwhelms me. Having to count or add his daily salt intake. Adjusting a diet that refuses to budge. I better refocus, because I'm about to cry. For him, that he will have to live with this for the rest of his life. The pain of kidney stones is something I pray he will never have to endure. Especially as a child.
So, I guess I will stock up on NO-Salt, and make my own tomato sauce, unless there are salt free versions I don't know about. Are there salt free chips? Can I ask a person at "WayDonalds" (if you don't know, this is what Joshua calls it) if I can order fries without salt on them, then salt them myself with a little NO-Salt?
I have always had much sympathy for parents of a diabetic child. I could never imagine changing my child's whole diet, worrying if what they will eat will cause permanent damage. I now have even greater sympathy.
Hopefully after I talk to this "Nephrologist", I will feel better. In my past experience, I know that getting an appt. with pediatric specialists at Children's Hospital is not quick. Usually like a month wait. We will see - and I will let ya'll know.
I pray (and please pray) that his kidneys will be fine, and that he will not already have any kidney stones. And that the doctor will tell us his future looks fine, with diet and check ups.
Okay, this does not make me feel any better. I just went to send this and did a spell check. Even this computer does not recognize the words, "Nephrology", or Nephrologist". Not sure what to think of that.



