Day one of trying to limit salt was.... Half and Half. For breakfast, he wanted his baked cheese puffs..... I used to feel okay giving him those for a snack (not breakfast), because they are baked, no artificial preservatives and colors and such. But sodium levels, I don't know. Since I have never had to look at this before, and until we get to the specialist, I don't know what is high or normal or low amounts of sodium.
Me and Jalyn had to go to the dentist yesterday morning (yeah!! No cavities for either of us!!). After I brought her to school, me and Joshua went to "The Circle Store" aka, Target.
I walked around the food section, trying to find replacements for 2 of his favorites - popcorn and chips. His pediatrician said he needs to eat lots of fiber, and popcorn is on the list - but of course all the kind I had already bought is loaded with salt. I saw "Low Fat", "All Natural Butter", "No Butter", "97% fat free", "Low Fat", and on and on and on. But not one box said, "Low Salt". Not one.
Then I decided to try the chip isle. I walked up and down the 2 chip aisles, searching for anything "low sodium". Nothing. Not a bag.
Now, of course I do realize that Target isn't your neighborhood health store, but PLEASE, could they have ONE low salt option?
Oh, there was one thing - I ended up buying him a can of "Low Salt Cashews" - because he loves these as well.
Lunch was a little Pizza Hut pizza at Target - we shared it. I know, the cheese and the sauce has sodium in it. I took off all his pepperoni's - if that counts for much of anything.
For dinner, I did the best. I made chicken strips, battered in whole wheat flower, wheat germ, and "No Salt". So, he had a plate of chicken, cheerios, and cashews. Oh, and ketchup - which of course has lots of SODIUM in it.
If you can't tell, I'm still overwhelmed. Finding it very hard to eliminate salt, unless I cook or prepare every single thing he eats.
Anyone know any ketchup recipes?? Just joking. But seriously, I think I will look on "Food Network.com" to find some!
My mom made me feel better by telling me that she knows there is a line of chips at Walmart that is labeled, "A pinch of Salt". I will have to go. Of course, if I could just serve him a plate of fresh veggies and fruit, and say, "Here dear, eat up" - in my sweetest voice, and IF he would eat it, I would be so pleased, and most of these "concerns" would disappear. But, alas, he will not do it.



