Thursday, September 25, 2008

My Firstborn becomes a Teenager

My firstborn child turns 13 this week.

That makes me feel excited and sad at the same time.

Oh, and let's not forget - old.

What an anticipated baby he was. We had tried for a baby for a year, then suffered through a very sad loss - an ectopic pregnancy. Then we tried again for another year, and finally got the awesome news that we were again expecting. We were beyond excited. We had quite a few problems during the pregnancy , aside from the first 15 weeks of throwing up, but in the end, we finally had our baby boy. What a thrilling time!

He was like a little angel.



Oh, how I remember those rosy cheeks!



Don't let this fool you, he didn't sleep in his crib much - notice how neat it was? I couldn't know then how much time he would one day spend on the real phone!



What a cutie pie! (Jacob-i, as we called him)



Time really does fly so fast. I remember the sleepless nights with him, like yesterday. The thrill of all his firsts - and ours.



And now, we are entering into new territory. It's not always pretty, but if we can learn to roll with the waves of adolescence, I pray we won't capsize! My new motto for the next couple of years seems to be forming: "Don't stress too much. This too shall pass."



So I now have a 5'9" teenager, with a size 12 foot. I think I remember like a year ago when he caught up to me. I'm 5'6".



He can be so difficult and serious.



And so silly and goofy!



He's so smart and yet such a rebel. I was all about conformity as a teen. He tends to be more anti conformity - especially when it is something I want him to conform to!

Throughout all the superficial stuff, he's got a heart of gold.

I pray that the teenage years aren't as rocky as I fear they could be.



Yeah, I'd better pray hard.....!!!