Sunday, August 10, 2008

Sunday Evening Blues

I'm sorry, I just feel like complaining.

I'm not ready for summer to be over - though, I must say that the breeze I have been feeling has me longing for fall. It's hot, but that breeze is just a taste of what's to come (like in another month).

And I'm not ready for the weekend to be over. I'm not. When school is "in session", the weekend flies by too quickly.

Tomorrow is Monday, and I know a bit of what will come tomorrow evening. Homework. That is such a dreaded word for me. It's because I have a kid I have to nearly fight to get him to do it. Maybe this year will be different from the last 6. I can dream, can't I?

Now, on to the happy part, the part I am thankful for.

We did have a nice weekend. Friday night Jalyn slept at her best friends house. Saturday morning was beautiful, and since we had such a good time there last weekend, we decided to take the kids back to New Orleans - the more family oriented part of it anyway. So, we packed lots of drinks and snacks, and picked up Jalyn and headed out.

We ate lunch right downtown where our nephew is the manager of a new restaurant. He treated us like special guests, and we had a really good time there. It was also nice to get out of the heat, and sit down and cool off. Jalyn doesn't understand that when you go into the city, you don't drive from place to place, you walk - however many blocks you need to.

We then walked several blocks down to Jackson Square.

Here is the statue of Andrew Jackson on his horse


The St. Louis Cathedral - (I wondered why Joshua was walking so fast toward it, and realized he was calling it a "castle", which I then realized he thought we were in Disney world again!)

The kids in front of a fountain that was in front of the cathedral


Jacob sitting on a bench in Jackson Square



Joshua walking through the tall decorative grass in the square


Joshie getting hot and red faced


We walked through the French Market. Jalyn got a cute bracelet. I wanted to go to Cafe du Monde so badly to get beignets and cafe' au lait, but by the time we were walking past there, it was so hot, and everyone in there looked a sweaty mess - like we were. And as much as I love coffee, it wasn't what I wanted to drink at the moment.

We also walked all along the river banks. We saw, but did not ride on, the street cars. Next time we will have to do that. Joshua thought they were choo-choo's.

We all had fun, though I think I will leave Jalyn at her friends house next time - she complained a little too much about the heat and the walking. She "wilts" easily. And we will definitely get my cafe' au lait and beignets - we will have to go earlier in the morning, or wait until it gets a little cooler outside.

Joshie after a long hot day in the city



Sorry about my earlier complaining. I just love having the kids here with me, and Clay home from work. Unfortunately, these "things", like school and work have to be done.

And I will hopefully have a better attitude about school and homework by my next post. Then again, I'd better wait until Monday evening - just to see what we are in for first, before I make any promises!