I have been packing. I have put ALL of our photo albums and the kids baby books in big storage containers. They are coming with us - as it looks so far that we will be evacuating.
I boxed up ALL of my books to put into the attic. I do not want to lose them all again. I love my books. I got the ladder out of the garage and set it up in the den, to go into the attic. I lifted off the attic door and felt that blast of heat that instantly makes you break out in a sweat. I lifted (and teetered) on the top of the ladder until all my books were up there.
I've went into the kids rooms and picked up all very meaningful things to take with us, or to protect in the attic.
Before I began doing this, I walked outside to throw something away.
It is hot and sunny. Calm. Quiet. Normal.
Could it be that a terrible storm is really on it's way? One part of your brain doesn't think about it. You think of what you are cooking for dinner, and when the kids are coming home, and what time Clay will come home from work.
The next minute, I am going through my cabinets thinking of what I could put all the way up on top of the cabinets - to be protected.
It's all very odd.
The anniversary date of Hurricane Katrina is tomorrow. Aug. 29th.
I remember very well, as we were evacuating - on Aug 27th, 2005, early on a Saturday morning - when it was still dark. I remember sitting in the backseat with Joshua and Jalyn. I looked back behind us, as we were traveling North, thinking, "What is coming?" I felt as if a monster was after us. I knew that no matter what, nothing would ever be the same.
A tree crushed through our roof
A view from the front of our house - all of our belongings
Empty
I must say, as of right now I am preparing, but I don't have that same feeling. Hopefully that means something good.



