Monday, June 30, 2008

The Last Day of June



It's the last day of June, and I can't help it, but it makes me so sad. I actually have that sinking feeling in my chest. One whole month of summer is gone. Tomorrow begins the countdown back to school, for me. In June, I feel like I can be more careless with our time, no schedule or mad dash for fun. In July, the heat picks up (literally and figuratively), to plan events that you want your kids to remember from their summer off of school.
Quick - let's go to the beach. Okay Jalyn, I've been promising to take you to the library, let's go. You guys, let's go see a movie. The list goes on and on.
I feel like I have to try to cram lots of good things in this month.
I had such a nervous stomach when I was a kid/teenager about school. It has carried over into my adulthood, and although I'm not the one in school, sometimes it feels like it would be easier than sending my kids off!
Jacob (fortunately) wants to go back - you know, at his age, it's all about the friends. Jalyn is dreading it. I try my hardest not to convey my feelings onto them, that I really dread it too. It always takes me a couple of weeks after school begins to see it as our new "norm". Then everyone gets into the swing of things, and you can hardly remember it any other way.
But for now, I want to hold onto each and every summer day. Where they can sleep late, stay up late, run errands with me (oh, maybe that's why Jake wants to go back to school!), and do whatever we want during the day.
So, I'll be savoring summer from this day, until too soon a day in August.