Every Wednesday night through the summer, a group of us women from church meet at a local coffee shop. We are going through the Names of God, one each week. I volunteered to do the one for tonight - "El Roi", the God who Sees.
I was scared to sign up, but did it anyway, trusting God to give me the words and help me overcome my fears of speaking in front of a group - with all eyes on me. I so much prefer to blend into the background!
Well, about a week ago, I did all my research, not wanting to wait till the last minute. I was confident of all I had put together (not in myself).
Now, it's today, and I have already began showing the signs of stress - for me. I woke up with a headache. I have went over my scribbled notes (usually everyone types them so pretty), and am not sure of anything. Did I write enough to that it would give us something to talk about for an hour? I think one of my main fears of speaking - especially about God, is that I would unintentionally misrepresent Him in some way. Also that I would overlook some very important detail that I should have seen. Or I will get someone like myself - who usually asks very hard questions, and I will have the blankest look on my face!
God has given me such a love for His Word. When I first began to seek God, I didn't even believe the bible. That was a MAJOR stumbling block for me. I am such an analytical and skeptical thinker. I was born into a long line of pessimists.
It has taken years, and more bible studies than I can count to get to the place of absolute assurance in God's Word. So, the very place I couldn't get past is a place of such security to me now. It is my rock and without it, I don't know how anyone can make it through life.
So, God has given me all this - a deep love for Him, for His Word and more bible knowledge than I hardly know what to do with. I know He wouldn't have given me all of this just to keep it to myself, but I am so not a teacher. At times I think of teaching others as so great, something God must be preparing me for. I have had Godly Mentors in the faith tell me that God is preparing me to teach, because no one would ask as many questions as I do.
And yet, when I think about everyone looking at me, I get so nervous. I have a hard time looking people in the eyes when I am nervous. I fear I will be looking at my notes and around the room, but won't be able to look people right in the eyes.
Pray for me! As you can see, I will need it.



