Psalm 143:8
This is from my devotion this morning:
We each have our unmet needs, and we carry them around all day long like an empty cup. In one way or another, we hold out that empty cup to the people in our lives and say, "Can somebody please fill this: Even a tablespoon would help!"
Whether we seek to have our cup filled through approval, affirmation, control, success, or immediate gratification, we are miserable until something is in it.
What a heavy yoke is shattered when we awaken in the morning, bring our hearts, minds, and souls and all their needs to God, offer Him our empty cups, and ask Him to fill them with Himself! No one is more pleasurable to be around than a person who has had her cup filled by the Lord Jesus Christ.
Where have you brought your empty cup today? How is it being filled?
This is something I struggle with so much. I want desperately to turn to Him to meet all my needs. I don't want the burden of looking to others to fill me, or to put the burden on others to meet needs that they could never meet.
And yet I do. I get frustrated when someone does something I don't like. When they say rude things to me. When I feel unappreciated, ignored or unloved.
I want to be free of it! I want to free others up also.
I also want to be a joy to be around. Many times I feel so inspired by God, so in love with Him and close to Him, then someone does something and I react in such a way and think, "What must they see in me? Surely it is not what I feel on the inside. Surely by my behavior, they don't see You in me Lord." And the cycle continues, and it breaks my heart that others can't see Him because I am too busy messing that up.
I begged God this morning to break that yoke of bondage, and to be the only one to fill my cup - daily.
I think where I fail in this matter is receiving it. I go by my emotions and think, "Well, I still feel the same." But His Word promises to fill me when I ask, to meet my needs when they are in accordance with His will - and surely it is His will that I look only to Him.
So once again, it is my emotions that lead me down this road. This vicious cycle.
What I have recently discovered is that I need to BELIEVE Him at His Word, and trust He has done what I have asked (when His Word already clearly says He will). Trust and believe. Instead of going by my emotion and not "feeling" the thing!
Oh fill me quick Lord - in the morning - that I may look to no one else to meet the needs that only You were designed to meet.



