Friday, June 19, 2009

Hungry




Going to school now is creating a problem I feared might happen.

Or let me be honest and say - I feared I would let happen, because school isn't really creating the problem.

Spending time alone with God is becoming scarce. Ouch. That hurts just to write it.

When I think back in my life (since becoming a Christian) that has been my "simplest time ever" - also a very sweet time - I think back to the year Jalyn was in preschool. Jacob was in school all day, and Jalyn went to preschool 3 days a week - for 3 hours (when she 4 yrs. old).

Every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, I would drop her off. Her school (which was my church at the time) was across town from my house, so there wasn't really enough time to go all the way back home. So, I would usually go to..... This is going to sound crazy - I know (just bare with me) - McDonald's. It was one block away from her preschool, and there was a big playroom in there. Well, at 9 am, there was never anyone in the playroom. So, at least one of those days of the week, I would go there, order a cup of coffee (and usually a biscuit) - and go find a quiet sunny corner in the playroom. I always had my bible and a journal - or usually whatever bible study I was working on. 3 whole hours - of just bible study.

Often my best friend Lorri would join me, and we would study and discuss all we were learning and excited about.

Like I said, when I look back on that time, it just seemed so simple and sweet.

Now I have 3 kids. I am in school. There is always something that needs to be done, if not in the house, then schoolwork. Or just "veg" time. Something.

I see my spot at the kitchen table, and look for my bible and remember long uninterrupted time there too. But lately, it just isn't happening as often.

Then I worry, is this what life will always be like? After college comes work, right? I worry there will never be a "simple" time again, and that was it. Just writing that brought tears to my eyes. Realizing it I guess.

I just pray for myself (and all of us) that we would find a way to put God first. That when life gets busy, and there are deadlines and homework and dirty dishes and piles of laundry - that God doesn't come last, behind it all.

"Come, all you who are thirsty,
come to the waters;
and you who have no money,
come, buy and eat!
Come, buy wine and milk
without money and without cost.
Why spend money on what is not bread
and your labor on what does not satisfy?
Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good,
and your soul will delight in the
richest of fare,
Give ear and come to me;
hear me, that your soul may live."

Isaiah 55:1-3