Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Pampered

Okay, for years now, I have heard about all my friends, my sister, my sister in laws, even my own mother - getting pedicures.

And not once have I had one.

Not because I couldn't, but I have my reasons.

a) Who can do that with a little kid in tow?
b) I have other more important things to spend money on (like food)
c) I have been afraid I would like it too much - then I would find reasons to do it anyway - regardless of a), b), and c). Or a through z for that matter!

Well, last night, while I was suffering in bed around 8 pm with a terrible headache - Clay came in to rub my head. I said, "Honey, I thought of something I would like for my birthday. A manicure and pedicure." He thought that was a good idea - and now that I think about it, my head began to feel better soon after.

So, I got going early this morning, and was the first one there.

Viola! A day early birthday present.






Okay, if anyone has a feet aversion (or fetish for that matter), just shut down my blog now!







Oh and it was nice!!

One little problem though. Since I have never done this before, I don't know what you are supposed to do exactly.

While sitting in the massaging chair, with my legs and feet being massaged (oh, let me say it again - it felt good!) - I suppose I should have just closed my eyes and enjoyed it.

No. Not me. I had to talk to the lady. I feel bad having her do all this work, and me just nearly ignoring her.

So, she is from Vietnam - her and her husband. Came to this country 2 1/2 yrs. ago. She works 7 DAYS A WEEK. Her husband works 6 DAYS A WEEK, and shops and cleans house on his day off. She said that there are many days in the shop where it is so busy she doesn't get a break to eat - especially around the holidays. She told me about how different it is living here in America. About how she has to support her parents in Vietnam - as is customary for all people in her country. The parents take care of their children until they are adults, then the children have to support the parents until they die. So her and her husband send several hundred dollars a month to their parents. She said many people there don't have any food to eat. She talked about how people there don't know how to drive a car (and she still doesn't) - they only have little motorcycles (if they are lucky).

And here I was, being shaken around by the massage chair, with my feet in bubbly water, and her massaging my hands and fingers.

By the end, all I could think about was how I felt like doing her hands and feet.

Even so, I must admit, I think I am now hooked.

Next time, I will try to just close my eyes (and mouth) and relax!