Sunday, March 1, 2009

Great Book, Bad Movie

I finished reading "The Last Sin Eater" tonight,around 8:15 pm. It was soooooo good!

I used to be able to say what my favorite book was. Even my top three. Not anymore. It seems the more I read (lately), they are all so wonderful - I could not choose if I tried.

"The Last Sin Eater" was (like I said in a previous post), one of the most different kinds of books I have read. It was so wonderful. There are so many aspects of it that were just so good.

It takes place in 1850. A "man of God" comes to a valley where there are several families living (in the Appalachians). It's a place where the people know of God and fear Him, but don't know anything about salvation. They think a man can take away their sins (after they are dead).

When the man of God comes, he simply speaks the Word. Every sentence he says is right from the bible - the Word is in his heart and on his tongue. And those who are willing to hear it drink it in - like water on parched land. They could sit and listen to the man for days. The man knows just how to say it all - and captivates them with the Word.

I have learned so much from reading the bible, reading books about the bible, doing more bible studies than I can recall offhand, and I wish so badly that I knew just the words to say. I would love to be able to speak the Word in such a way, that others would soak it in, like the best news that it is. I also wish everyone could be as receptive as the ones in the book (and like real life, not all were).

Anyway, after I read the book, I immediately called Blockbuster, to see if they had the movie. They did. Me and Jalyn rushed over there to rent it.

I got everyone together and we sat down to watch. Jacob gave up after about maybe 30 min. Me, Clay and Jalyn watched it. I cannot tell you how disappointed I am in it. It didn't follow the movie at all. The main reasons I wanted everyone to watch it weren't even displayed in the movie. I should have left off with the happy feeling I had when I finished the last page. This is one of those books that you just can't help talk about. I was telling Clay and Jalyn all about it, while reading it, and after I finished. I thought that by watching the movie, they could grasp a bit of what it was about. Not really....

My friend brought me my next "quest" - "Redeeming Love". I will start that one tomorrow. I have heard such good things about it, I love it already.

I'll let you know!