Friday, December 19, 2008

Wait, Hold On.....



Can we just put the brakes on? Please??

I feel like this month is slipping like sand through my fingers. WAY too fast.

There's not enough time in the day to do all I have to do. There's still shopping to be done, gifts to be chosen and wrapped, food to be bought, a menu to be chosen and prepared, treats and sweets to be baked and delivered, cards to be written, thank yous to be said, did I get enough for this kid, or did I forget anyone on my list?

I know this is not what this season is ALL about, but the reality is that in the day to day life of ours, these things need to be done.

Aside from the to-do list, I WANT DESPERATELY to sit back and enjoy this time. I want to read by the light of the Christmas tree, delight in reading the Christmas cards that come daily, to feel the happiness for my kids as they have their Christmas parties at school. I want to linger by all the Christmas displays, driving through the neighborhood - looking at the lights. Enjoying my own house all "festive" with Christmas decorations. Just a little longer, please.

Every year the kids - Jalyn in particular, will say daily, "I can't wait till Christmas gets here." And I will reply, "The faster it comes, the sooner it's over." Then she will usually say, "Yeah, but at least I will have all my presents then." Kids. I know, I felt the same the way as a kid.

I feel like we just put up the tree. Didn't we JUST have Thanksgiving? Now, it is Dec. 19th!!!! Christmas is in 6 more days!!!!

I feel the sudden urge to spend the remaining evenings with my kids and hubby, all cozy on the couch watching Christmas movies and basking in the glow of the tree. Letting the "Christmas Feeling" sink in before it's gone. Enjoying being with family, giving to those we love, and sharing happiness with others.

Every day, whenever the older two walk in the door from school, and when Clay walks in the door from work, Joshua gets so excited and yells out, "Merry Christmas Bubba, Merry Christmas Sissy, Merry Christmas Da-da". I'm not ready for that to be over.




Oh Lord, help me to see that these feelings do not have to be only during the month of December - help us to see that You are the most perfect gift and greatest treasure to be found.