Wednesday, December 31, 2008

A Christmas Gift

You know how, especially as Moms, you never want to splurge on yourself? However, if you get Christmas money (from your parents) - you begin to think of all the things you would like to splurge on, but never let yourself.

Well, I LOVE bibles! When I first became a Christian, in 2000, I bought a study bible. It was my "main" bible until 2004. I had a wonderful ladies Sunday School teacher - who had just gotten a large print bible - with no study notes. I loved it! As a "newer" Christian at the time, I was a little afraid of winging it - without study notes, but I did it.

I brought my "new" large print one with us in the car, as we said goodbye to our house, for Hurricane Katrina. Amazingly, there were two pieces of furniture that did not go underwater, and one was a cabinet in my laundry room, with my study bible on top. So, both of those are so special to me.

So, the large print one has been my "main" bible since 2004. I have loved it dearly. The pages are worn, the front cover has a very visible crease where it was bent. The back pages are falling out. BUT, all of my notes are in it.
And the pages are now all crinkly, just like I like them. All favorite passages are underlined. You can tell by turning the pages which bible studies I have done. Which books are the most worn, most underlined, and heavily scribbled on.

Well, with that Christmas money, me and Lorri and the kids went to our favorite Christian book store. I looked and looked and looked. It has to be perfect. The pages had to feel just right. The cover had to be just right. Lorri was laughing at me. But really, you just know when one is right for you.

Anyway, at the store, I was busy looking at all of the large print NIV's. I thought I had found the perfect one. Then a lady who worked there came over and saw which one I was looking at. She says, "If you like that one, you should look at this one, you will love it." Without her suggesting it, I would have never even opened this one - a giant print one. Well, I loved it. And no, I don't have eye problems. And it's really not GIANT at all. Just a bit bigger than my old one. It felt perfect, and the cover was a thick soft leather.

Now..... What to do about all my notes in my old one?

I may a bit fanatical, I know. But, I have to copy everything into the new one. I kind of like doing it - though it is very time consuming, which is why I have only gotten to Numbers - but, I only started a couple days ago, and only have the mornings (when everyone else is still sleeping) to work on it. A labor of love.

My new one.



See, not actually giant.



Some necessary notes.



My "old" favorite.



The last book I studied in depth - Daniel.







It is a little sad though, like I'm betraying an old friend.

If there's ever another storm (please no), I promise to take it with me. All three!