Saturday, November 1, 2008

A Happy Halloween

We had a nice Halloween - it was Joshua's first time ever trick-or-treating.

I have tried to buy him a costume for the past few weeks. When we are in Walmart, I will show him the costumes, and ask him, "Joshie, don't you want to be Superman for Halloween?" Then I would put it in the basket, and he would say, "No Mama, I don't want to wear it, Joshie wants to wear his jacket."

Too cute, so I would put it back. I knew as I asked him, he didn't even really know what the costume was for, except for what he had seen on cartoons. He did just watch "The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown" the other night (Oh I always loved that show) - so, he got a better idea of "trick-or-treating" I think.

Anyway, yesterday while in Walmart (again), I just picked up a Halloween shirt, that lit up on the chest when it moves. I figured if he saw his sister trick-or-treating, he might want to join in on the fun, and would need something to wear.

This was the first year that Jalyn informed me that she no longer wanted to be something "sweet". Oh no. She said that she was done with all of the princess costumes. Oh no. I wasn't done, but she was. So, she picked out something called "Spider Bride". I tried to steer her in different directions, like cheerleaders and such - no go. So, Spider Bride she was.

I did her make up - kinda fun.





I even painted her fingernails a glittery black, then decided to paint my own. It didn't look half bad, for black fingernail polish!





Clay painted Jacob's face, who has long since stopped wanting to be "sweet" for Halloween. I remember his first time trick-or-treating - when he was Joshua's age - he was a knight. So cute with his sword and armor and helmet. Then I think he was a pirate next - the eye patch and all. No more cute.



Jacob wanted to walk around the neighborhood, with his friends. He only found one or two around, then he came back home with one of them. They are officially too old to trick-or-treat, so it's more of a social thing.



My two spooks.



I couldn't get a good picture of Joshua - because he wouldn't be still for a minute! My cell phone camera takes more blurry pictures than good ones!



Joshua had a lot of fun. He didn't get it at first. We told him to say "Trick or Treat", then to say thank you. The first house he went to, the people were set up in front of their open garage. He said "Trick or Treat", then "Thank you", then tried to walk into their garage.

The second house, he said, "Trick or Treat". He rang the doorbell, and when the lady opened the door, he started to walk right in her house! Then lady showed him her bowl of candy and told him to pick 5 things. She said, "Can you count to 5?" Well, boy can he count. She didn't know what she was doing! He kept going, one by one, putting the candy in his bucket. "Six, Seven..." He would have kept going, but we had to stop him.

After that, he got the hang of it pretty well. He told everyone thank you, and waved "bye-bye" (waving and saying it loudly, over and over) to everyone. Even without a costume, he was too cute.

This morning I was asking him if he remembered all we did last night, and he said, "Mama, let's do it again!"

I thought it might be pointless to tell him it only comes around once a year - what's a year anyway to a 3 yr. old? I just told him it was over - then showed him his bucket of candy.

How quickly he forgot after that!

I have got to hide that thing now!