Friday, August 8, 2008

First Day of School

Okay, both kids are at school, and I'm not crying or anything - so that is a good sign! (Unless the crying comes later - if they come home and tell me they had an awful day!) Oh, please Lord, don't let that happen!

I got up the earliest I have all summer - 5:25 am. I got "ready", then woke Jacob up at 6 am. He hopped out of bed surprisingly quick. He seemed positive and excited to start school. I'm pretty sure it's not all the new "knowledge" he will gain this year that excites him, I'm sure it's seeing his friends after a long summer. (Hey, whatever it takes!)

I gave him breakfast and ate with him. I watched him go to his bus stop in his new clothes, new shoes (black converse high-tops - he just picked out), and his new jacket. Yes, it is August, in Louisiana, and my son HAS to wear a jacket to school. It must be a security issue. It's lightweight, black and beige. He HATES to tuck his shirt in at school - per school rules- so I think he's being rebellious, because under that jacket, his shirt is not tucked. He got away with it last year, but this is a new year, and I told him, there is a possibility they will say "No Jackets". That would crush him, so I hope they let it slide. One of his best friends across the street is now going to his school, so they got on the bus together, which of course makes me happy that he has a friend to ride with.

I got Jalyn up at 7, got her breakfast, fixed her hair, and put in her earrings. I got Joshie out of bed (again - earliest he's been awake also!). I got him a waffle, and a cup - got him dressed quickly, and got them in the car. I walked her to her class. On the way to her hall, the new principal was telling everyone, "Walk on the side of the green line!" I looked down and noticed a green line painted down the middle of the walkway. You had to walk to the right side, like driving. It makes sense, but it reminds me of how much I hated elementary school. In Jr. High and Highschool, you walk down the hallway however you want - as long as you get there. In elementary school, you walk in a line (with a line leader) and keep your index fingers on your mouth (okay - sometimes) and "No Talking". How miserable! I guess I've got some of Jacob's rebelliousness! Anyway, she sat down up against the wall of her class (Indian style in the hallway) - again, more memories I don't exactly like! I waved goodbye to her. Her teacher asked me if she was nervous, I said "Just that she doesn't know many kids in her class and is nervous about making friends." She said, "Oh, don't worry about that - she'll make friends."

Wednesday night was "Meet the teacher" night at Jalyn's school. She was so nervous about who she would get, and when I read her name on the list of her teacher, she smiled and said, "That's who I wanted!". So, I was very happy for her. I told her as we left the school, "Jalyn, God knows I can only handle being stressed about one kid at a time, and it's usually your brother." Now, if he comes home and is happy with his many teachers, I'll be thrilled. And if he's not, I'll try to have my hopes up that first impressions aren't always right. Last year, his math teacher had me in tears for the first 2 weeks of school. I thought for sure he would fail. She ended up being a pretty good teacher, and he did pretty well in her class - and I would have never guessed it that first month or so.

Oh Lord, please protect them, keep them safe and help them to have a happy day and year! Let there be good friends to surround them, and good teachers who really care about them. Let them have clear minds to take in and understand and remember all they need to. Be with them when I can't. Bless their first day back to school. Thank You - Amen