
Okay ladies, this is a little deep here.
Most of you know that I did not grow up in a Christian home. Sooo, when I first became a Christian, (once I got past all the doubts of unbelief), everything was so exciting to me. Every bible story was new to me - I knew none of it. I wanted to absorb it all - like a sponge (still do).
This is all I know, this is the way my life has went.
Now, my children on the other hand are growing up much differently. In a way I can't really relate, and it's making me wonder some things.
Yesterday I was working with Jacob on a youth bible study he has on Tuesdays. He wants to go so much, but wasn't too enthused with the folder full of work he had to complete before tomorrow. (It reminded me of struggling with him to get his homework done). Anyway, we sat down together went through all the questions and looked up the passages, finding the answers. Now to me - I love this stuff.
After a few pages, I ask him, "Jacob, are you really taking this all in? Are you learning, or just going through the motions?"
He says to me, "Mom, I've heard all of this my whole life. I know most all of this already."
I can't relate to this. What do I say to this? And I never knew he was paying that much attention in church to begin with. And I'm sure he doesn't "know it all" - (it's probably his age talking). But really, this is something I need to explore in my mind. How it is like for someone who grows up in church and hears the message every week. I've always kind of had a hard time relating to people like that, in some ways. I love them, I just can't relate to how that must be.
I lived in darkness my whole life, so when the light of the truth shone in my heart - it was brilliant. I could easily recognize the contrast. It was so exciting to me.
So how exactly does one see the light so brilliantly who has never seen what living in the dark is like? The only thing I can think of, is just by seeing the examples of others - what their lives are like. I share with him often about my life before salvation. Having no hope, being afraid of death, living for my every whim and desire - not knowing God at all.
For those of you who have been brought up in the church - and may understand where he is coming from (as I do not), what do I say in response to his comments?



