Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Joshie's First Movie





We recently took Joshua to see his first movie in the theater ever! We all went, even though Jacob had already seen it with his youth group. Jalyn was actually the one who had been begging us to see it for a couple of weeks.

Joshua doesn't like any loud noises, so we had to prepare him a bit on the way over there. We got him excited by telling him we were going to see Wall-e (Clay showed him the trailer on the computer), on the "BIG BIG GIANT TV". Then we told him it would be dark, and loud. I kept reminding him of that so he didn't freak out when it did get dark and loud.

When we first got in the theater, and the previews started, he did sit there with his fingers in his ears, blocking out the noise, and he did do that periodically throughout the movie, but overall, he was fine with it. He did so good - better than I expected. He got very sad when Wall-e got sad. He was sitting on my lap during one of the sad scenes, and he kept saying over and over - like he was on the verge of tears, "Oh, Wall-e's sad." I kept saying in return, "No, he's fine, he's happy." He didn't buy that for a minute! But, thankfully, he didn't cry.

He went back and forth between sitting in his own seat - which he wasn't heavy enough to make the folding seat stay down, and me or Clay had to keep pushing it down - or he was going to be "folded up", then to my lap, or his dad's lap. During the last 10 min. or so, he began to get up, and go to the aisle right above us, getting antsy. Luckily, there was no one up there, so he wasn't bothering anyone.

Not only was it Joshua's first movie, it was the first movie I have seen since he was born! You can tell I don't get out much! Not unless he's with me. To be honest, I have monthly get togethers with the ladies at church, and have weekly (I try to make it) get togethers on Weds. nights as well. So, I do get out, but not "movie out".

So, now that I know how good he did, I'm looking forward to the next movie we can go to!

And by the way, there is something I totally do not get - for every Disney movie, there is so much hype, an overload of merchandise to accompany the movie, Happy meal toys to go with it, the whole shebang - I can't find a single Wall-e toy. Now, I haven't been to the "Granddaddy" of toy stores - Toys R Us, but I've looked around everywhere else. I've never seen a kids movie come out like that with no toys. He would be so happy to have a little Wall-e toy! I'll have to keep searching and surprise him with it - if I ever find one.