Saturday, January 26, 2008

Crabby Baby

Oh what a week it has been! Joshua started with a high fever last Sunday evening, all out of the blue. He had no other symptoms, no cold, runny nose, cough, no visible pain, nothing. Just a high fever, returning ever 3 to 5 hours (as soon as his medicine wore off). Tuesday evening I took him to the doctor. Probably just a viral thing, maybe rosiola I am told. Thursday morning comes along, no rash, still a high fever. Glassy red eyes, and bright red cheeks. He was pathetic looking. We went to the pediatrician at noon on Thursday. Nothing stands out to the doctor as being wrong. Except for the 102 fever. He sends us to Slidell Memorial for chest x-rays and blood work. It was sooo sad. I am such a wimp. But aren't we all when it comes to our children? I hate to see them in pain. So, after those tests, we go home. A little later, I am rocking him to sleep, so glad that the day is about over. A little after 5 pm, the nurse calls me from the pediatrician's office and says to get Joshua and come into the office right away for a shot. I asked what was wrong, and the nurse says the dr. will talk to me when I get there.
That was the wrong thing to tell me. I was so scared, my body was trembling. My knee caps were actually shaking on the ride over there. So, the doctor explains that his white blood cell count is high, but not horribly high. But what is abnormal, is that the type of white blood cells that were high, were ones that fight serious infection. He explained that he could have a blood infection among other things. So, then the poor baby got a shot of antibiotics in the thigh. Ped. told me to give him a break on Fri. (thank you), then to go back to Slidell Memorial for more blood work on Sat. morning. Also, he gave me a prescription for antibiotics.
He had fever Friday morning and was miserable and crabby until about 11am. Then after that, he was happy for the first time in a while. He was smiling and running around the living room.
Friday night was miserable. Something has changed in Joshua's nose/throat, something to cause the worst snoring! He woke himself up every hour, which of course woke me and Clay up. It was like he could not breath. The loudest rattling. So, this morning the pediatrician called for an update and I told him about our night. He told me to bring him in. He prescribed Orepred to shrink his adenoids and tonsils, to help the snoring. Oh how I hope it helps.
Then we went to the the hospital for the second set of blood work, to see if those white blood cells have come down. Poor baby, as soon as we got in the lab, he was gesturing to the door. Then when we were sitting in the chair, with the ladies getting everything ready, the sad, pathetic crying began. It's heart breaking. All I could think of was two things. One is that he must think we (or I) am torturing him for no reason. Second, how I feel for parents of truly sick children, that spend lots of time in the hospital. How helpless we feel under these circumstances.
It was one of the cutest and saddest things that he did while the needle was in his arm. He loves to count, or for us to count. Any numbers he sees anywhere, he reads and begins to count. So, I don't know if he saw something, or just did this to comfort himself, but through the crying, he began, "Un, two, tree, ore, tie, sik, seven, eight, nye, ten!" He even said the "ten!" in the happy way he always does, even though he was crying through it. The ladies said, that is the cutest thing ever. Luckily, when he reached ten, they were done.
About 3 hours ago, the pediatrician called and said that his blood count was perfect!! We are still waiting on a couple more results, but everything looks good. And no more fever today!!!
But boy is he still a crab!!!! Adorable but grouchy.
Tomorrow is Sunday. Oh, I hope this coming week is better!
Thank you Lord that he is okay!