I often think of a farmer, let's call him John. John may have grown up a farmers son, and now he is himself. He rises early, while his family sleeps. He reads his worn bible as he has a cup of coffee. He works hard all day, pondering what he's read and praying for his family and others. He enjoys his children, and loves his wife. He may read the paper now and then, and doesn't have a clue about social media. He doesn't know what's popular, but always tries to look his best, when he needs to. He has a loving family, and works to provide for them. He loves God and others above himself. He says little, but what he says is always kind, instructional, loving, and wise. And simple. And though the rest of the world may want more and more, he is content and couldn't be happier. He eats dinner with his family, and falls asleep in bed, with his arm around his wife.
And some would say he's missing out on so much. But is he really? His life sounds rich and uncomplicated to me. It is stripped to the bare bones of what is important in his life. I am sure he doesn't think much about what he feels like, or wants for the day. He's not given to emotional highs and lows. He is even and smooth as lake water; steady and sure.
And there's me... So not like John, my calm imaginary farmer. I want to lead a simple life, and think of myself as simple, but I'm not. John might say something like, "I don't care much for strawberries." Where I will say, "Well, my mother didn't vary my foods much as a child, therefore I have a thing with textures and seeds that makes me gag easily." John would say, "I love watching the sunset." I would describe how as a child I had to go to bed while the sun had not yet set, and lie awake hours with that orangey sun on my walls and to this day it is utterly depressing to me.
Nothing is simple with me, try as I might. Dream as I may. I have a complex mind that over thinks everything, making it all harder than it needs to be. I long to be calm and at peace, to listen more and speak less. To dwell no longer on all the "why's" and accept. To love, regardless. To smile and go on. To pray throughout my day instead of getting knots in my stomach. To be free of the unnecessary and the excess, to fill my days with what truly matters. To work hard without complaint. To not give into emotional highs and lows.
And I know to many John's life seems awfully dull... And even I have a side that wants to see the world and explore and experience adventure. But in a simple and profound way...
So I, this over complicated woman, will continue to strive to be and live a simple life.




