Friday, December 31, 2010

A New Year on the Horizon

I kinda feel like I am standing on the edge of someplace comfortable, afraid to step into new territory...  The territory of a new year.  Can't we just linger here a while longer?

2011 is going to bring many changes....  And right now, none of them feel good.  Job changes, school changes - for me and Joshua - nursing school beginning, and a few others.  And those are only the few I KNOW will be happening...What about the ones that pop up unexpectedly???

I feel like the groundhog - afraid of the shadows.

I have never been one to embrace change.  Never..  Even good changes bring me stress.  I know, I am weird. 

Thinking of all that this year has in store, or may have in store, makes my stomach flip flop - more than any year I can previously think of... 

Ann Voskamp - on her wonderful blog - A Holy Experience discussed how she had named years for the past several.  I had never thought of doing such a thing.  As she was looking over her busy schedule for the year ahead - several things that scare her - changes, and stepping out into the unknown, she thought of this years name:  The Year of Here.  Because we only have this moment - right now.  We can't ruin this moment, worrying about moments that haven't even come yet.

That so got me thinking.  I think I shall have to adopt her name - the name of this 2011 year that makes me so afraid.  The Year of Here.  God only gives grace for the moment we are in.  One minute, one hour, one day at a time.  So, when those fears arise, and those butterflies fly, I need to take a deep breathe, and remember to enjoy right here and now... 

And remember that when those moments do come, He will give me grace for those as well...

Happy New Year friends