Today my hubby has been in the Coast Guard for 20 years. 20 long years that seem to have passed in the blink of an eye.
I met him the summer before he was going to boot camp. So from the moment we fell in love, this Aug 14th date was hanging over our heads. Knowing that he would be gone, and not knowing when we would see each other again.
I remember the day he left, 20 years ago. His father drove us into New Orleans, where he was to depart. I don't so much recall the drive there, though I am sure I must have been looking at him, trying to memorize every detail. I don't even remember if he sat in the back seat with me, or the front seat with his father. What I recall vividly was him getting out of the car. Us hugging goodbye. His father saying goodbye. Then watching him walk away with an army green bag over his shoulder. I remember watching him till I couldn't see him anymore - as he walked and we drove. I thought my heart would break, knowing he would be gone for 8 weeks. I remember trying so hard to keep in the tears - not being so comfortable with his father then. I know that after he brought me home, I let loose and don't think I stopped for days.
Poor Clay, I wrote him so many crying, pathetic letters while he was gone. If I could consult now with a young woman in the same situation, I would tell her to "uplift" her man, not cry to him!
After 8 weeks were up, he came home. He looked like someone different than I had known. He seemed so thin. Head shaved. So tall in his uniform. His whole family swarmed around him, missed him. I felt so shy. It wasn't until we had a few moments alone, that I realized it was still him - who I knew.
A lot has happened in 20 years. Stationed on 2 ships, a search and rescue station in Detroit, Michigan, a station in Gulfport, Mississippi, several back-to-back jobs in New Orleans, and of course somewhere in there was getting married, having 3 children, and all that comes with life.
The road in the Coast Guard has not been easy or always nice, there were many more times of him being away - from me and from our children. We have made it this far - and I am so proud of all he has done!
Happy 20th Honey :)




