Just a few from the shelves.
Bits of who I am and how I am formed.
How my mind thinks and what I wonder about.
Truth ingrained. Words to grow by.
I have truly feasted.
I have lingered and savored, and kept going till I had to stop.
Instead of a fork, I use a pen. I underline these morsels, I journal about them, they become a part of me.
My latest - just came in the mail. I have already dove in (though I have 2 others I am currently working through).
Some quotes from this book so far-
"I want to counter this widespread practice of taking personal experience instead of the Bible as the authority for living... I want to confront and expose this replacement of the authoritative Bible by the authoritative self. I want to place personal experience under the authority of the Bible and not over it."
"What I want to call attention to is that the Bible, all of it, is livable; it is the text for living our lives. It reveals a God-created, God-ordered, God-blessed world in which we find ourselves at home and whole."
I want all my reading to be a worth-while pursuit. I so want to be changed and challenged - not just or even amused.
I came across this quote the other day - and thought how fitting it was to my reading as well.
John Piper:
What I have learned from about twenty-years of serious reading is this: It is sentences that change my life, not books. What changes my life is some new glimpse of truth, some powerful challenge, some resolution to a long-standing dilemma, and these usually come concentrated in a sentence or two. I do not remember 99% of what I read, but if the 1% of each book or article I do remember is a life-changing insight, then I don’t begrudge the 99%.
Ezekiel 3
And he said to me, "Son of man, eat what is before you, eat this scroll; then go and speak to the house of Israel." So I opened my mouth, and he gave me the scroll to eat.
Then he said to me, "Son of man, eat this scroll I am giving you and fill your stomach with it." So I ate it, and it tasted as sweet as honey in my mouth.
Eat - and be filled - taste and see that the Lord is good.



