Monday, March 8, 2010

The Morning Sun

Have I ever mentioned how much I love morning time?  And how much do not like evening time?  In particular the morning sun and evening sun.  Yes, I know, it's the same sun - but it looks so different.



I must start at the beginning - to help you understand why it is this way for me.  When I was a little girl, I had a big retangular window that took up one wall in my room.  It faced the western sky.  My parents used to have us on a ridiculously early bedtime, and we also lived on the corner of the block.  Which meant there was a little side street right next to my bedroom window.  Where all the kids would play - till dark.  With me, laying in bed - with the evening sun still streaked across my walls - you know, that orangy sun.  Me, listening to kids playing - trying to fall asleep - with orange evening sun in my room, and the sounds of kids playing filling my ears.

Yes, I know.  It was so sad.

And still to this day - it is with me.  I do not like that evening sun.  (I should also point out this was for my entire childhood)  Now - I must say, I have gotten better in this area.  It used to be much worse.  When I was first married, my husband was on a ship and gone for days.  And there I sat in our apartment, missing him.  We had a loft apartment, with 2 french doors that led to a balcony.  And above those doors - were 2 giant long windows that stretched high (you know, the kind you wonder, "How do they ever clean those?".  And there was a stair case, leading up to the loft with a big white wall behind it.  And every evening, that big orange sun would streak it's light and long shadows across my walls - in particular by the staircase - on that big white wall.  It would invoke the saddest of feelings in me.  Funny such a thing should always stay with me.

I also remember when I was a child - if I ever got to stay home from school, or on weekends, I remember thinking the whole world looked different in the morning.  All sparkling and new.  Just alive!  Birds singing, people beginning their day, etc.  Just loved it.  Still do.  The shadows are also so different.



Everything looks like it's opening up.




Like the sun is rising from its slumber....

And bursting forth...





Reaching out with the promise of a new day.




Psalm 65:5-8
You answer us with awesome deeds of righteousness,
O God our Savior,
the hope of all the ends of the earth
and of the farthest seas,
who formed the mountains by your power,
having armed yourself with strength,
who stilled the roaring of the seas,
the roaring of their waves,
and the turmoil of the nations.

Those living far away fear your wonders;
where morning dawns and evening fades
you call forth songs of joy.