Sunday, February 15, 2009

Reminiscing

As a child, I lived on a busy street. My street was a thru-way to two main roads, and people would often F-L-Y down our street. It was also not the safest town. Third strike for my "freedom" was that my dad was strict - I'm talking seriously strict. Anyway, the only places we were allowed to be when we were outside was our front yard, the backyard, or one house over. Once I got caught at the house behind our house, and got in BIG trouble.

My mother on the other hand, was from a little town in Michigan - called Linden.

Many of my summers were spent there as a child. I was very close to my "Granny", and would get on a plane the day after school ended (May/June), stay with her for the summer, then fly back to Louisiana (aka: hot and muggy) a week or two before school started again.

Summers in Linden are my fondest childhood memories.

Linden is the smallest town I have ever been in. There is a main street, a downtown, an icecream parlor (was), a grocery store (that me and my Granny would walk to every week - she didn't drive), and a few other shops. My uncle was the baker at the grocery store, and every time we went, he took me back there and gave me my favorite - glazed doughnuts!

Being in Linden meant freedom for me. It was a safe place to be. Half a block away from my grandmother,lived my aunt, uncle and cousin - one year older than me. Me and her would ride bikes DOWN THE BLOCK!!! We would walk into town!!! I had never known freedom like that in my whole life.

There was the "Mill Pond" in the center of town. It was my favorite place to be. Me and my cousin spent a lot of time down by the water - her trying to get me to go swimming, me just enjoying to hang by the waters edge. (Growing up so sheltered, did not give me an adventurous spirit!)

Last night I decided to google Linden, Mi. I loved looking at all the familiar pictures! They bring back such wonderful feelings.


This is the old Mill, that was built around 1850 - which I think is now a library.



Just the sight of this old mill, and the mill pond, fill me with wonderful memories. I can hear the water bubbling over the rocks - I can almost smell the water.



I stood next to the old mill so many times.



Playing and walking down by the water. I can picture my Granny and other family members down here. The kids, running up and down those wooden steps - the grown ups sitting under that gazebo. Always happy times.



Here is "downtown" Linden. Just a handful of shops - and I loved them all. Especially the antique ones. I loved looking at all the old dolls and such.



When me and Clay were first married, we got stationed in Detroit. It was an hour and a half drive to Linden - and whenever I could, I went there. I remember being pregnant for Jacob, my first child, and I went there all by myself. I took a journal with me and just wrote and just enjoyed being there. So peaceful.

I would love to walk down all the streets now, through downtown and around the mill pond. But the house my granny lived in has long since belonged to someone else. My cousin lives in another town. My dear aunt died of cancer a few years ago. My uncle is all that is left in Linden now.

I wonder now if I will ever be there again. That thought makes me so sad. Though I know, it will never be the same, because the people that truly made it a home away from home for me are nearly all gone.

Oh how I loved that little town.