Friday, February 20, 2009

Cabin Fever

I remember once upon a time, I used to be so on the go.

Even when Joshua was a little baby, I used to travel across town to bring the kids to school every morning (after Hurricane Katrina, when we were renting a house - while ours was being rebuilt). That was like 8 am. Then I would run errands - do whatever, but do something. By 10 am, I would feel like I'd already had a full day.

Now, I couldn't get out of this house at 8 am, or before, without a fight. (okay, I'll admit that even I no longer like to leave that early anymore)

To describe Joshua as a homebody would be an understatement. He does not want to leave the house.

I could offer (and have tried) anything. The park, McDonald's, almost anything - just to get out. Even pizza. He's not in.

Now, in some ways this is good. It has saved us money, because if we were out and about, shopping, eating out - it all costs money. And this is truly why I haven't pushed it. When I see how content he is at home, I have to ask myself, "Do you really need to go somewhere?"

Lately I'm home all day, everyday, and feel like I'm getting not much accomplished. Sure, my house is clean, and there is usually dinner cooked when the kids get home, but....

But enough is enough. I'm so ready to get out of here.

Lately I have to wait until Clay gets home from work just to go grocery shopping.

I think it is bothering me more this week, because I don't have a good book to read. Sure, I have several on my bookshelf that I haven't read yet, but they just aren't what I'm in the mood to read right now.

I have been asking Joshua - then telling him - then getting him dressed and ready - "We are going to the library - Mister."

I get, "No, I have to stay here. I stay in Joshie's room. You go."



You see all those trains. That is just a fraction of them. He loves them, and could play with them all day, every day. And they are what he doesn't want to leave. He used to be content carrying one to go, or two. I remember he used to fall asleep with them in his hands all the time. I would have to open his little sweaty hands and pry them out.

I think I'm just going to have to scoop him up, grab his shoes and just run for the car. Once he is there, he's fine. He just can't seem to part with his room when he's in there!