I did finally get some news today, but feel we are back at square one. We have eliminated some things, but now have no clue.
Joshua has crystals in his urine, and has for a very long time. Close to a year ago I took him to his pediatrician and to a specialist - who did Joshua's surgery at 18 mths. He said that there were crystals in his urine, and that he would be very prone to developing kidney stones in the future, and come back if he was in pain or had blood in his urine. Well, when a top specialist tells you it's okay, just wait and see, you just want to believe him, and go on your merry way.
Recently I began to become more concerned with it. I took his potty bowl (I know, weird) to the pediatrician and showed him how it is lined in crystals. How bizarre is that? He ordered a urinalysis there in the office. That evening the doctor himself called me. He said that Joshua's urine was "loaded" with crystals. He said that he could see the crystals even before he looked through the microscope. He said that Joshua may have a rare disorder, that they only see once or twice every 10 to 15 yrs. The next morning, we went to the hospital for blood work and another urinalysis. Then a couple days later, for another urinalysis (since they didn't do something they were supposed to).
Well, the nurse called me today and said that everything falls within normal ranges - except the crystals. The lab report said that he had "moderate crystals" in his urine. The pediatrician seems to be stumped now. The nurse told me that the doctor placed a call to the same specialist at Children's Hospital (mentioned earlier) to talk to him about all of this. The specialist is out of town for the holidays (of course!), and the ped. hopes to be able to talk to him on Mon. or Tues.
It's a little hard not to worry when a pediatrician doesn't know where to go from here.
I just hope and pray that they discover what is causing the crystals. I don't know what will happen to a child who has them from such an early age. I don't want to hear that I just have to wait until he is in pain, having kidney stones and blood in his urine. There has to be something we can do to prevent the stones now - I pray.
So we wait. I will update you guys (gals!) next week. Thanks again for all your prayers. We all want our little ones (and big ones) healthy and happy - and pain free!



