Sunday, September 7, 2008

Trying to get back to normal

Well, I've put everything back in it's proper place.

I've unpacked all of our things.

Now what????? IKE???

I do hope the weather service is as accurate with their predictions about Ike as they were with Gustav. It appears to be heading toward Texas. Sorry Texas, but it may be your turn.

Anyway, I'm just trying to back to normal. Normal is life without the threat of a major storm heading your way.

Normal is school starting tomorrow, after having this week off. Not that the kids are happy about going back.

Normal is cleaning my house. It's hard to describe, but when you think you may be about to lose your house, you think things like, "My sheets need to be washed, but why bother? It may not matter in a few days." So, it is nice to take pleasure in cleaning, knowing you can enjoy it for a while - at least until someone messes it up again.

Normal is going to the grocery store and them having things like milk and eggs and meat again. Hopefully by tomorrow I can find eggs.

Our bible study that was supposed to start last Thursday will start this Thursday. I am so excited - I long for the structure. I need the structure! We will be doing the Daniel study by Beth Moore. As our church counselor said this morning at church, "If the good Lord is willing, and the lake doesn't rise".

One thing that I long to return to normal - though it feels as if it never will, is my husband's work schedule. Since the Coast Guard is responsible for doing the upkeep for and repairing and rebuilding every aid (buoy, light, and day board) in the rivers, lakes, channels, basins and every other waterway I can think of, I barely see him. He was gone for 16 hours yesterday. He leaves so early in the morning and doesn't come home until past dark. It's getting me a little crazy, and sad. I just miss him. Today was his only day off. His work phone has rang so many times today, it could be considered a work day.

So, before it all begins tomorrow morning, I'd better go sit with him in the den and watch some TV. Or at least bring a book in there and sit by him as he watches football.