Friday, February 29, 2008

My 12 1/2 year old went to his 2nd school dance tonight. He's in the 6th grade. Isn't that just too young to be pushing school dances? But he just goes with friends. The first one, a couple of months ago, I cried as I pulled away. I thought of all these changes that he (we) would be going through in the next few years, and how sad I was. But it wasn't the big huge deal I made it out to be (is it ever?). He had fun with his friends. So, for this one, I was an old pro. I dropped him off, and I was fine. I picked him up, and as I was waiting for him to get to the car, his principal walks up to my car and says, "I wish I had 10 more like him, he's a great kid. Do you have 10 more like him?" I said, "I have 2 more, but I don't know if there's anyone like him." He says right before I drive away, "That's a great kid you have." Oh that was nice to hear. I want him to continue to be a good kid, to make the right choices. My firstborn. How I love him and how I pray that the next few years won't be as bad as I hear and worry about. Please God.